CELEBRATING YOUR WEDDING AT OUR LADY OF TEARS CATHOLIC CHURCH IN SILVER CITY
Our Lady of Tears Church welcomes couples who wish to celebrate their wedding in its historic sanctuary.
A marriage is of great importance to Our Lady of Tears Catholic Church. Since marriage is one of the seven sacraments of the Catholic Church, the celebration of a wedding in Our Lady of Tears Church needs to be in conformity with the teachings of the Catholic Church.
If either the bride or the groom is a baptized Catholic:
- The wedding must be celebrated according to the canon law and liturgical norms of the Catholic Church.
- The Roman Catholic Diocese of Boise requires a four-month advanced notice before a wedding, and requires all engaged couples to participate in a marriage preparation program prior to the wedding.
- Certain pre-nuptial investigations need to be completed.
- The wedding couple should contact their local Catholic parish and complete all these necessary requirements there with the local clergy.
- The general expectation is that the priest or deacon of one’s local parish will be the minister of the wedding.
Engaged Couples of other faiths are welcome to celebrate their wedding in Our Lady of Tears Church. The following guidelines are to be honored:
- Since Our Lady of Tears is a Catholic church, it is necessary that the bride and the groom both be free to marry according to the canon law of the Catholic Church. In short, this means that neither the bride nor the groom is to be a divorced person whose former spouse is still living.
- The wedding ceremony is to be a religious ceremony led by a recognized Christian minister. The engaged couple needs to present the name, address, and telephone number of the minister and his/her denominational affiliation. Weddings performed by a justice of the peace or other civil officials may not be celebrated in Our Lady of Tears Church.
- Our Lady of Tears Church requests payment of a fee of $200.00 for use of the church for a wedding; this fee helps to pay for the maintenance and restoration of the church.
- Check should be made out to Our Lady of Tears Church and mailed to:
Our Lady of Tears Church
P.O. Box 6110
Boise, Idaho 83703
- The fee is to be paid at the time of making the reservation of the church. No reservation of the church for a wedding will be confirmed until payment of the fee.
- If a wedding is canceled after payment of the fee, $150.00 is refundable.
- An Idaho marriage license must be obtained from Owyhee County or from another Idaho county.
Additional Information, Permission, Reservation:
- For additional information, permission, and reservation of the church, please contact the priest in charge of Our Lady of Tears Church, Father Gerald J. Funke, at St. Paul’s Catholic Church in Nampa—466-7031.
- The furniture and religious statutes and images in Our Lady of Tears Church are to be fully respected. They are not to be moved or removed from the sanctuary or the church.
- Wedding couples and their guests are asked to help maintain the cleanliness of the church and the area around the outside of the church. All are asked to respect and care for the environment both inside and outside the church. The historic nature of Silver City itself, the residents of the town, and their property are to be respected at all times.
- Couples should note that Our Lady of the Tears Church has no bathroom facilities or dressing/changing rooms. “Rustic” style bathrooms are available at the foot of the hill on which the church sets; these are owned and maintained by the B.L.M.
- The church is not used for wedding receptions; it is to be used only for the wedding ceremony.